Wednesday 12 April 2017

Huddersfield - Brighton Marathon

"Making the unattainable attainable", isn't that the point of training? You get plenty of time to ponder the point of the anti-social endeavour that is endurance riding on a ride to Brighton from Yorkshire.

That ride from Huddersfield to Brighton was pencilled in several months ago when Holmfirth Harriers Cogs and Rosie signed up to run Brighton marathon with my wife Jen, I wanted to go and support but didn't fancy sitting in a car for hours to get there. I've always preferred point to point rides anyway and riding due south through England until the road runs out appealed. I've planned a few big rides for 2017 so getting a big training ride done in April could only be beneficial. Bike preparation was going well the week before, I fixed my dynamo and replaced all the on bike wiring, the drivechain was swapped out, brakes tweaked and tri-bars fitted by Velofondista. Unfortunately the day before I was due to set off my crankset fell apart forcing a re-plan; I dragged my neglected summer bike from the back of the shed. Those tri-bars and a large saddle bag were fitted, tyres pumped up and there was time to point some lube at the chain before I fell asleep.

I woke before my 4.30am alarm on Saturday morning, kit was already out and a breakfast of muesli and yoghurt was followed by sourdough toast and fresh coffee; foundations for a good day in the saddle. Free-wheeling down the hill to the Milnsbridge traffic lights the cold night air stung my face, I was wearing everything I was taking on this ride - gloves over mitts, gilet and a full set of limb warmers were still not enough for the freezing temperature. Fortunately the air above the valley bottom was a few degrees warmer making the climb out of the Holme Valley past Hepworth more pleasant than usual. Over the top to a quiet Fox Valley and I was in Sheffield in no time, the twisted steeple of Chesterfield was my next landmark soon followed by quiet lanes through the east Peaks into the centre of Derby.

On the Fosse Way, roads
don't come much older than this
Oxford University
From Derby I eventually joined the Fosse Way to reach Banbury and the centre of Oxford. Riding through these ancient towns and cities was great for seeing the sights of Olde Englande. Unsurprisingly Oxford was full of tourists unlike my next landmark; Reading, which I crossed as quickly as possible on the A33 trying to stay in front of wheelsucking white van man. I was now 180 miles in and in need of some proper food, the best I could find was a MuckDonalds where large fries and coke were consumed in an attempt to restore blood sugar levels. 

The route from Reading through the Surrey hills was scenic and quiet, very enjoyable but I had one eye on the time as I tried to beat the sunset. Sixty miles remaining from Reading meant no chance. Lights and limb warmers were dragged out for the final twenty miles into Littlehampton via the town of ancient Arundel. My destination the Travellodge for a cold Peroni and big sleep.



HHAC runner Damo
coming in to finish
Reflecting the next day over a few beers with the marathon runners from Holmfirth Harriers we try and agree on "why", that is "why do we do this?". This turns out to be a very personal question with different answers from everyone, but having a personally valid answer to that question is essential if we are each to get up and out the door, to do what we do. Some are happy to run on a treadmill all winter to achieve their personal goals whilst for others simply getting out on the local moors is the the goal. Some need to to measure and analyse every variable whilst others are happy to have the wind in their hair and cold rain on their face.






I'm happy exploring the world one map tile at a time inspired by legendary riders like Mike Hall who tragically died racing the Indian Pacific Wheel Race this year, he will be sorely missed by many.  RIP Mike, we're all trying to #bemoremike in our own way.


Gear Used

Cannondale CAAD10 with Q rings
Large Ortlieb saddlebag
Exposure lights
Komoot navigation app on iPhone 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.